Friday, 22 September 2017
logo
Up-to-the-minute perspectives on defence, security and peace
issues from and for policy makers and opinion leaders.
        



dv-header-dday
     |      View our Twitter page at twitter.com/defenceredbox     |     

inmemoriam

Article Index
In the service of our country 363A: Colour Sergeant Alan Cameron
Page 2
All Pages

Colour Sergeant Alan Cameron, 1st Battalion Scots Guards
CSgtCameron

Colour Sergeant Alan Cameron from 1st Battalion Scots Guards died on 31 March 2011 as a result of wounds he received in Afghanistan on 13 April 2010.

Colour Sergeant Cameron received serious injuries when he was struck by an Improvised Explosive Device while on foot patrol north of Lashkar Gah on 13 April 2010.

Colour Sergeant Cameron succumbed to his wounds and died suddenly at home in Livingston, Scotland on March 31, 2011. He was 42.

Colour Sergeant Cameron, or 'Cammy' as he was known, had been making a good recovery from his wounds after undergoing a number of difficult operations. The post mortem found that his death was directly attributable to the injuries he suffered last year.

Colour Sergeant Cameron's family paid the following tribute to him:

"The whole family is devastated by the sudden loss of a dear family member, who has sadly lost his battle to overcome injuries sustained on operations. Alan (Cammy) fulfilled his childhood dreams of becoming a soldier in 1989 when he joined the Scots Guards. He was very passionate about Army Life and as a very experienced, professional soldier; he loved the challenges involved in operating in an operational environment.

"The family would like to take this opportunity to thank all the Team Medics and medical staff involved in saving Alan's life initially asthis allowed us a further year in the company of a great man.

"The family would also like to thank the 1st Battalion Scots Guards for their continued support at this very difficult time."

Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Lincoln Jopp MC, said:

"Colour Sergeant Cameron was a real father figure in the Battalion. Whether in Canada in charge of his beloved Javelin platoon or in Afghanistan in charge of the Fire Support Group, with his greying hair and knowing smile he was someone everyone looked up to and admired, particularly me. He was a gentleman in all the best meanings of that word.

"When he was so severely injured last year, the Battalion was totally shocked and many prayers were said for both Cammy and another Scots
Guardsman who was injured in the same incident. The fact that both men lived was testament to their own inner resilience as well as the
incredible medical support they were given, from the Guardsmen on the ground right up to the greatest consultants in the land.

"Cammy was making incredible progress in his recovery and it was with huge pride that I stood next to him as he talked lucidly with HRH The Prince of Wales at our Brigade memorial service last December and more recently when he was presented to HRH The Princess Royal at the Calcutta Cup. I was so proud of him. He was an almost permanent fixture at Headley Court for months, but could not have been more generous in the praise he gave the staff there for his progress. He was an inspiration to many there, not least the younger soldiers suffering from similar head injuries whom Colour Sergeant Cameron buoyed up. Even when injured he remained a model Scots Guardsman.

"And so it was out of a clear blue sky that we heard that he had collapsed and died in Livingston. It has hit us all very hard and our sincerest and deepest condolences go out to his son Dean, Dean's mother Yvonne, his partner and constant companion Nicola, his parents, brothers, sister and all his wider family. We share in their sense of bewilderment and loss.

"The only consolation I can take from this devastating news is that in the year we had with Cammy after he was blown up, he could not have been
more loved or more supported. He will have died knowing just how much he was loved by us all. We honour our fallen. "



Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Latest from icasualties.org

  • ariananews- U.S. Doubles Airstrikes, Following New Strategy
    The U.S. forces with coordination of Afghan military have doubled its airstrikes in Afghanistan, following Washington’s new strategy for the war-torn country, Presidential Palace (ARG) said Wednesday. According to ARG, drone and warplane raids were being “effective” in suppressing the insurgents across the country.
  • KP- US airstrike inflict casualties to foreign ISIS militants in East of Afghanistan
    At least four militants four militants of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terrorist group were killed in an airstrike in eastern Nangarhar province of Afghanistan. The provincial government media office in a statement said the airstrike was carried in the past twenty four hours in Haska Mina district.
  • NPR- NPR News Interviews Afghan President Ashraf Ghani
    In an interview airing on Thursday's Morning Edition, NPR's Mary Louise Kelly spoke with Afghan President Ashraf Ghani about the details of the Afghanistan strategy outlined by President Trump in his speech last month. President Ghani described it as a "very well thought-out plan with a four year objective... of really bringing 80 percent of the territory of the country under control." Ghani broke down the strategy into three parts: double the size of Afghan commando forces, improve and increase the Afghan military's air power and re-vamp military leadership as part of broader overhaul of Afghanistan's security forces.
  • warsawvoice- More Polish soldiers in Afghanistan
    The Polish government hopes to expand its 200-troop military presence in Afghanistan to show solidarity with the US as it increases its own contingent, a topic which defense minister Antoni Macierewicz is about to take up with US Secretary of Defence James Mattis.
  • ToloNews- Gunmen Kidnap Mirza Olang Village's ALP Commander
    Armed anti-government men on Tuesday afternoon kidnapped the commander of the Afghan Local Police for Mirza Olang village from Sar-e-Pul city, the provincial council confirmed. The kidnapped commander, Habibullah, was stationed in Mirza Olang village in Sayyad district.
  • KP- Suicide attack in Pakistan leaves 23 dead, wounded
    At least twenty people were killed or wounded in a suicide attack in Balochistan province of the country. The incident took place in the vicinity of Chaman located close to Afghanistan late on Monday. According to the local officials, a suicide bomber detonated his explosives near the vehicle of the security forces.
  • Reuters- US Military surgeons in Afghanistan treat civilian injuries
    At U.S. military facilities in Afghanistan, roughly half of the surgeries done for local civilians during more than a decade of war have been for non-combat injuries and health problems, a recent study suggests. From January 2002 through March 2013, a total of 5,786 local civilians underwent 9,428 surgical procedures at U.S. military treatment centers in Afghanistan, accounting for 37,121 inpatient hospital days, researchers report in JAMA Surgery.
  • militarytimes- Afghanistan takes delivery of first Black Hawks
    The U.S. delivered the first two of a planned 159 U.S. UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters to Afghanistan on Monday, according to Capt. William Salvin, a spokesperson for Operation Resolute Support. The helicopters were delivered to Kandahar airfield by U.S. Air Force C-17 loadmasters assigned to Charleston Air Force Base, South Carolina.
  • BNA- Roadside Mine Blast Leaves 6 Civilians Dead
    Six civilians lost their lives in explosion of a roadside mine in Daman District, Kandahar province yesterday. Zeya Dorani spokesman of Kandahar security directorate told BNA, six civilians martyred while their vehicle hit a roadside mine in Abdul Wahid village, Daman District of the province.
  • Janes- IED attack kills four civilians in Afghanistan's Khost
    FOUR civilians were killed and 13 others were wounded in an improvised explosive device (IED) attack by unidentified militants in the basement of Hammam Market in Afghanistan's Khost province on 17 September, Afghan Islamic Press reported. No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.

British military casualties - Editorial policy

In the service of our country.

Eulogies for all personnel killed on UK operations in Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere are posted as soon as they have been released by the UK Ministry of Defence. Each eulogy we publish for men down in operations brings a lump to the throat. We are losing the best of the best. Politicians must ensure that, when the newspaper cuttings have faded, their sacrifice has had some meaning, has helped bring about a good result. Anything else would be a waste for which they will be eternally condemned.

There is invariably at least a 24 hour gap between the official release of news of an event and the naming of the dead. This is to allow families to be informed and proper eulogoies to be produced. Occasionally families request no euologies or comment. We abide by guidance we receive on such sensitive matters. We regret that information on those who sacrifice almost as much through grave injury is seldom released by the MoD for operational reasons, and so we are unable to pay tribute.

 

Cookies
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Defence Viewpoints website. However, if you would like to, you can modify your browser so that it notifies you when cookies are sent to it or you can refuse cookies altogether. You can also delete cookies that have already been set. You may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of desktop browsers. Please note that you will lose some features and functionality on this website if you choose to disable cookies. For example, you may not be able to link into our Twitter feed, which gives up to the minute perspectives on defence and security matters.