Wednesday, 20 September 2017
logo
Up-to-the-minute perspectives on defence, security and peace
issues from and for policy makers and opinion leaders.
        



dv-header-dday
     |      View our Twitter page at twitter.com/defenceredbox     |     

inmemoriam

Corporal Steven Boote
Royal Military Police

Corporal Boote, known as Steven or Booty to his family, friends and colleagues, was 22, when he was killed in action whilst carrying out his duties at Blue 25, an ANP checkpoint in the Nad-e'Ali District of Helmand Province, Afghanistan on 3 November 2009.

Corporal Boote was a soldier in the Territorial Army and a member of the Manchester Detachment of 116 Provost Company, Royal Military Police (Volunteers). He was attached to 160 Provost Company for his deployment on Operation HERRICK 11.


Steven was born on the 4 December 1986 in Birkenhead, Liverpool. He joined the Territorial Army in early 2006, joining 107 Field Squadron Royal Engineers (Volunteers) in his local town of Birkenhead. Shortly afterwards he transferred to the Royal Military Police and on completion of his basic training joined 116 Provost Company. He completed his police training and was promoted to Lance Corporal in 2007.

In late September 2008 Corporal Boote volunteered to deploy on Operation HERRICK 11 with 160 Provost Company and took part in many exercises during the pre-deployment training, performing to a very high standard throughout. Corporal Boote was exceptionally proud to be a soldier in the Territorial Army, and always went that little bit further to prove this - it didn't go unnoticed.

A Security Team Leader at a local Tesco store, Corporal Boote had aspirations to join the Civilian Police.

Corporal Boote had a long-term girlfriend Emma, who was constantly in his topic of conversation and who we all know he loved very much, along with his mum Margaret and dad Anthony whom he was very attached to.

One of his main passions in life was motorbikes, which he and his dad spent many hours restoring and building, as well as riding them together. Steven was a strong character with a good sense of humour and enjoyed being round his friends, colleagues and always up for a laugh.

His final request was for his family and friends to be brave as he was and remember Help for Heroes.

His Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Debbie Poneskis (Commanding Officer 4th Battalion Royal Military Police) said:

"Corporal Boote was very proud to be a Territorial Soldier, second only to his pride in being a Military Policeman. He worked tirelessly to ensure he was at the top of his game and showed steadfast resilience and determination in gaining a much sought after place on Operation HERRICK 11 with his regular counterparts.

"Although relatively new to the Territorial Army and the Military Police, Corporal Boote was a popular member of both 116 Provost Company and 160 Provost Company alike. He was accepted readily by his colleagues, largely down to his professionalism and enthusiasm.

"Corporal Boote spoke at length of his long term partner, Emma, and his parents, Tony and Margaret, with whom he was very close. His other passion in life was motorbikes, spending many an hour with his Dad restoring and building them as well as hitting the open road.

"Corporal Boote was a strong character with a good sense of humour and enjoyed being round his friends and having a laugh. It was an absolute pleasure to promote him to full Corporal at the end of an exercise earlier this year, he utterly deserved it and the smile on his face will be my enduring image of him.

"The Regiment is stunned at the untimely loss of Corporal Boote; it is a much poorer place without him. Our thoughts and prayers are with his parents and his girlfriend at this difficult time; we share in their grief."

Cpl Boote's Company Commander, Major Phil Hacker, said:

"Steven's death, so early in our tour, has come as a great shock to us all. He loved being a soldier in the Territorial Army and revelled in Army life.

"He knew and accepted the dangers a tour of Afghanistan might bring. Courageous by nature, he was an outstanding soldier who always volunteered for the most demanding tasks. He inspired confidence in all those he served with and we are all so proud and feel so humble to have served with him.

"We will always remember Steven who was a true example of the Royal Military Police Corps motto 'Exemplo Ducemus'; by Example we Lead."

The Operations Officer for 160 Provost Company, Captain Karen Tait, said:

"Corporal Boote made an instant impact with 160 Provost Company, he was grinning with excitement at the prospect of training with us and ultimately deploying with us on tour.

"He spoke with me about the possibility of enlisting as a regular soldier, something I would have wholeheartedly supported.

"Throughout pre-deployment training and during his short time on operations he demonstrated why he was the man for the job - committed and courageous to the end. It is an honour to have served with him."

2nd Lieutenant Richard Evans said:

"Corporal Boote served with 160 Provost Company as a Territorial Army soldier from 116 Provost Company. He was a keen, hardworking individual who fully embraced the ethos of the Royal Military Police and Military life.

"He immersed himself fully in all he did, and did so with a sense of humour and alacrity. Corporal Boote is a shining example to Service Police.

"He was a grafter, dedicated soldier, and a good friend to many within the Regiment. Never one to complain, Corporal Boote accepted all responsibilities bestowed on him, and eagerly tackled every challenge he came across.

"He was a tough individual who made a great and lasting impression on those who served with him. He will be sorely missed."

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Latest from icasualties.org

  • AP- Taliban kill 3 abducted government workers
    An Afghan official says the Taliban have killed three government employees abducted last month in western Herat province. Gelani Farhad, spokesman for the provincial governor in Herat, says the three included two employees from the customs department and their driver. He says they were abducted about 20 days ago and their bodies were found on Monday evening.
  • militarytimes- Afghanistan takes delivery of first Black Hawks
    The U.S. delivered the first two of a planned 159 U.S. UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters to Afghanistan on Monday, according to Capt. William Salvin, a spokesperson for Operation Resolute Support. The helicopters were delivered to Kandahar airfield by U.S. Air Force C-17 loadmasters assigned to Charleston Air Force Base, South Carolina.
  • Janes- IED attack kills four civilians in Afghanistan's Khost
    FOUR civilians were killed and 13 others were wounded in an improvised explosive device (IED) attack by unidentified militants in the basement of Hammam Market in Afghanistan's Khost province on 17 September, Afghan Islamic Press reported. No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.
  • ToloNews- Gunmen Kidnap Mirza Olang Village's ALP Commander
    Armed anti-government men on Tuesday afternoon kidnapped the commander of the Afghan Local Police for Mirza Olang village from Sar-e-Pul city, the provincial council confirmed. The kidnapped commander, Habibullah, was stationed in Mirza Olang village in Sayyad district.
  • Reuters- US Military surgeons in Afghanistan treat civilian injuries
    At U.S. military facilities in Afghanistan, roughly half of the surgeries done for local civilians during more than a decade of war have been for non-combat injuries and health problems, a recent study suggests. From January 2002 through March 2013, a total of 5,786 local civilians underwent 9,428 surgical procedures at U.S. military treatment centers in Afghanistan, accounting for 37,121 inpatient hospital days, researchers report in JAMA Surgery.
  • KP- Suicide attack in Pakistan leaves 23 dead, wounded
    At least twenty people were killed or wounded in a suicide attack in Balochistan province of the country. The incident took place in the vicinity of Chaman located close to Afghanistan late on Monday. According to the local officials, a suicide bomber detonated his explosives near the vehicle of the security forces.
  • BNA- Roadside Mine Blast Leaves 6 Civilians Dead
    Six civilians lost their lives in explosion of a roadside mine in Daman District, Kandahar province yesterday. Zeya Dorani spokesman of Kandahar security directorate told BNA, six civilians martyred while their vehicle hit a roadside mine in Abdul Wahid village, Daman District of the province.
  • KP- Pakistani and ISIS militants killed in Nangarhar airstrike and operations
    Several militants including militants of Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan and loyalists of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terrorist group were killed during the airstrike and ground operations in eastern Nangarhar province of Afghanistan. The provincial government media office in a statement said the militant suffered the casualties in Bati Kot and Achin districts.
  • LATimes- After tough Trump speech, Pakistan scrambles to answer U.S. demands in Afghanistan
    Pakistan, facing growing pressure internally and from the United States about the relationship between the two countries, is weighing how to respond to U.S. demands that it do more to help stop the fighting in Afghanistan.
  • Reuters- Six civilians killed by roadside bomb in Afghanistan
    A roadside bomb in Afghanistan’s southern province of Kandahar killed at least six civilians traveling in a car that hit the device, officials said on Monday. “It was a bomb which had recently been planted by the Taliban to target Afghan forces but a civilian car went through it,” said Fazel Bari Baryalai, a spokesman for the provincial governor, adding: “All the people killed in the car were young people from the area.”

British military casualties - Editorial policy

In the service of our country.

Eulogies for all personnel killed on UK operations in Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere are posted as soon as they have been released by the UK Ministry of Defence. Each eulogy we publish for men down in operations brings a lump to the throat. We are losing the best of the best. Politicians must ensure that, when the newspaper cuttings have faded, their sacrifice has had some meaning, has helped bring about a good result. Anything else would be a waste for which they will be eternally condemned.

There is invariably at least a 24 hour gap between the official release of news of an event and the naming of the dead. This is to allow families to be informed and proper eulogoies to be produced. Occasionally families request no euologies or comment. We abide by guidance we receive on such sensitive matters. We regret that information on those who sacrifice almost as much through grave injury is seldom released by the MoD for operational reasons, and so we are unable to pay tribute.

 

Cookies
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Defence Viewpoints website. However, if you would like to, you can modify your browser so that it notifies you when cookies are sent to it or you can refuse cookies altogether. You can also delete cookies that have already been set. You may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of desktop browsers. Please note that you will lose some features and functionality on this website if you choose to disable cookies. For example, you may not be able to link into our Twitter feed, which gives up to the minute perspectives on defence and security matters.