Friday, 25 May 2018
logo
Up-to-the-minute perspectives on defence, security and peace
issues from and for policy makers and opinion leaders.
        



dv-header-dday
     |      View our Twitter page at twitter.com/defenceredbox     |     

inmemoriam


Private Lewis Hendry, from 3rd Battalion The Parachute Regiment, and Private Conrad Lewis, from 4th Battalion The Parachute Regiment, were killed in Afghanistan on Wednesday 9 February 2011.

The soldiers were deployed on an operation to reassure the local population and provide security in the Nad 'Ali District of Helmand province.

Private Lewis Hendry, from A Company, 3rd Battalion The Parachute Regiment (3 PARA), deployed to Afghanistan on 10 October 2010 as a member of the Patrols Platoon detachment serving with A Company.

Private Conrad Lewis deployed to Afghanistan on 10 October 2010 as a member of the Fire Support Group attached to A Company, 3 PARA.

Both soldiers were based at Checkpoint Qudrat in the northern part of the Nad 'Ali District.

On 9 February 2011, Privates Hendry and Lewis deployed as part of a foot patrol to reassure the local population and gather census information in a small village north of the Nahr-e Bughra Canal.

Their patrol came under fire and, during the ensuing firefight, both Private Lewis Hendry and Private Conrad Lewis received serious gunshot wounds.

Despite receiving immediate medical attention at the scene, and extraction by helicopter, the soldiers sadly died of their wounds.

Full eulogies for each are published separately below

Comments 

 
0 #1 Pete naylor 2011-02-12 20:23
A great friend to my son ( Matt Naylor). Rermember his great smile and peronality when he came round "to ours" to pick Matt up to go out. A great guy and will be sadly missed. WHY WHY !!!
Quote
 

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Latest from icasualties.org

  • Stripes- Iran blamed for Afghan attacks after Trump scraps nuclear deal
    Iran is ramping up support to the Taliban in retaliation against President Donald Trump's decision to scrap a historic nuclear deal, Afghan officials said, and the battle for a strategic Afghan city points to that blowback. Tehran directly supported a Taliban offensive last week against the western city of Farah that's situated near the border between the two nations, Afghan government and police officials said. Fighters from the insurgent group crossed over from Iran, where they had been trained and armed, Farid Bakhtawar, the head of the provincial council of Farah, told Bloomberg.
  • KP- Shaheen Corps confirm Afghan army casualties in Faryab attack
    The 209th Shaheen Corps of the Afghan Military in the North has confirmed the casualties of the Afghan armed forces in an overnight attack by the Taliban militants in northern Faryabn province. The Shaheen Corps in a statement confirmed that the Taliban insurgents launched a coordinated attack on Gulzar and Gulzar-1 check posts in Sherin Tagab district late on Wednesday night.
  • KP- Abducted UN staff member and her child released in Kabul
    The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan confirms that a UN employee who was kidnapped with her child has been released in Kabul. “The United Nations in Afghanistan welcomes the release in Kabul of a colleague and her child held hostage since January, while expressing outrage at their abduction and the earlier murder of another colleague who was also seized during the same incident,” UNAMA said in a statement.
  • KP- Pak Ambassador in Kabul confirms Taliban’s contacts with regional countries
    The Pakistani Ambassador to Afghanistan Zahid Nasrullah Khan has confirmed that the Taliban group has good contacts with the regional countries as he admits that Pakistan has limited influence over the group. Khan made the remarks during an interview with The Diplomat and in response to a question regarding President Ghani’s offer to Taliban for peace and the influence of Pakistan to encourage the group for participation in peace talks.
  • USAToday- Afghanistan stabilization effort failing after 17 years of U.S. work, watchdog report says
    The U.S. government’s 17-year effort to stabilize parts of war-torn Afghanistan has mostly failed, according to a report released Thursday by the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction. The damning report finds that much of the $4.7 billion spent on programs to stabilize areas cleared of insurgents has been largely wasted — some of it siphoned off by corrupt officials, some of it paying for projects that did more harm than good. All told, the U.S. government has appropriated about $126 billion to rebuild the country, most of it to train and equip security forces.

British military casualties - Editorial policy

In the service of our country.

Eulogies for all personnel killed on UK operations in Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere are posted as soon as they have been released by the UK Ministry of Defence. Each eulogy we publish for men down in operations brings a lump to the throat. We are losing the best of the best. Politicians must ensure that, when the newspaper cuttings have faded, their sacrifice has had some meaning, has helped bring about a good result. Anything else would be a waste for which they will be eternally condemned.

There is invariably at least a 24 hour gap between the official release of news of an event and the naming of the dead. This is to allow families to be informed and proper eulogoies to be produced. Occasionally families request no euologies or comment. We abide by guidance we receive on such sensitive matters. We regret that information on those who sacrifice almost as much through grave injury is seldom released by the MoD for operational reasons, and so we are unable to pay tribute.

 

Cookies
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Defence Viewpoints website. However, if you would like to, you can modify your browser so that it notifies you when cookies are sent to it or you can refuse cookies altogether. You can also delete cookies that have already been set. You may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of desktop browsers. Please note that you will lose some features and functionality on this website if you choose to disable cookies. For example, you may not be able to link into our Twitter feed, which gives up to the minute perspectives on defence and security matters.