Sunday, 26 March 2017
logo
Up-to-the-minute perspectives on defence, security and peace
issues from and for policy makers and opinion leaders.
        



dv-header-dday
     |      View our Twitter page at twitter.com/defenceredbox     |     

inmemoriam

[Image]
Rifleman James Stephen Brown
3 RIFLES Reconnaissance Platoon

It is with great regret that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that  Rifleman James Stephen Brown from the 3 RIFLES Reconnaissance Platoon, was killed in Afghanistan on Tuesday 15 December 2009.

Rifleman Brown was killed following a suicide improvised explosive device blast on a route into central Sangin, northern Helmand, Afghanistan. He died on his way to hospital in Camp Bastion from injuries sustained in the incident.

At the time hisplatoon was manning a vehicle checkpoint alongside an Afghan National Army section in order to provide reassurance and security to the local population.

Rifleman Brown was born in Farnborough, Hampshire, on 9 January 1991. He joined the army in 2009, completing initial training at the Infantry Training Centre, Catterick before passing out to join 3rd Battalion, The Rifles in October 2009.

He attended the Individual Reinforcement course for Operation HERRICK and deployed as a Battle Casualty Replacement in late November 2009 where he joined B Company Group.

Lieutenant Colonel Nick Kitson, Commanding Officer 3 RIFLES Battle Group said:
"Rifleman Brown was a young man only just embarking on his chosen career with the Army and The Rifles. He had been with the Battalion for a desperately short time but was showing the promising signs of a soldier with a bright future. He had already made a lasting impression on his fellow Riflemen with his immense courage, infectious confidence and talent for making people laugh.

"Amid this tragedy, we take some small comfort but immense pride in the fact that he and the soldiers who died with him, both Afghan and British, averted a much larger tragedy.

"Their sacrifice prevented two suicide bombers from reaching their intended target, the bustling and ever more prosperous Sangin Bazaar, packed with local Afghans going about their daily business.

"What he lacked in experience he made up for in enthusiasm, young yet keen to please and with a voracious appetite for work and fun in equal measure. It is all the more difficult to come to terms with the loss of one so young and we are all deprived of the joy of watching his promise unfold.

"Few will ever rival his commitment and sacrifice. We remain fiercely proud of his all too brief but lasting contribution to our current challenge. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends."

Major James Richardson, Officer Commanding B Company 3 RIFLES said:
"The death of Rifleman Brown is, in many ways, particularly cruel. He had arrived with the Company less than two weeks ago and had been very quickly integrated into his platoon and deployed to one of the patrol bases.

"He had made a really good first impression, typical of the high quality Riflemen that are coming to us from training and that I am so lucky to command. He was already making his mark, and not just for his insistence that he should be known by his rather unflattering moniker of 'Fat Head'.

"He was beginning to show all of the hallmarks expected of the thinking Rifleman and was testimony to the generation of guys who are willing to take on the challenges that we face out here.

"While he did not have a chance to forge the closest of relationships with his new battle partners his loss weighs heavily because of the unrealised potential and the strength of the initial signs. Our thoughts are with his family for whom this will have been the bitterest of blows."

Warrant Officer Class 2 Paul Kelly, Company Serjeant Major B Company 3 RIFLES said:
"I have known Rifleman 'James' Brown only a short time, he joined us approximately mid-way through the tour so far. He joined us at a difficult time but this did not faze him, he wanted to join his platoon and get started.

"Apprehension is something we all have to deal with daily but James seemed to take it in his stride. His loss has hit us all hard but our thoughts must be with his family at this very difficult time."

Colour Serjeant Paul Lucke, Recce Platoon Commander said:
"Rifleman Brown sadly only joined the platoon a week ago. Importantly he fitted straight in. He found making friends easy and showed enough even from the first patrol that he could deal with the rigours of Afghanistan.

"This was shown with him being appointed as one of our Vallon Metal Detector operators, an incredibly important job after such a short time with the platoon. He definitely had a bright future ahead of him within The Rifles.

"Unfortunately he never will be able to show us his full potential. My thoughts remain with his family during this difficult time. He is truly worthy of the platoon's motto: 'We lead, you follow.'"

Serjeant Slater, Recce Platoon Serjeant said:
"Rifleman Brown, known as Brownie, you were sadly only with us for your short time of a week. What I saw of you, you were a professional young man with a fearless character which singled you out from the rest.

"You had an appetite for soldiering which was seen by all. You had all the tools for being a good recce soldier but sadly you were taken away. Rest! 'We lead you follow'.

Rifleman Atkinson said:
"I only knew Rifleman Brown for a few months but he made a lasting impression on me and all others who met him. He looked to help everyone when he could and was very much a 'team player' whether in the field or even on the football pitch.

"He was a very outgoing person and it did not take him long to make good friends. He made everyone around him laugh and always saw the positive side of life.

"Rifleman Brown was someone who always spoke about his family, especially his dad, mum and girlfriend who he missed very much. His loss is felt massively within the platoon. He was and always will be a true Rifleman. Rest in peace, mate."

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Latest from icasualties.org

  • KP- Afghan forces arrest mine planter in Nangarhar province
    The Afghan security forces have arrested a mine planter from a restive district of eastern Nangarhar province. According to the local security officials, the detained militant has been identified as Zahidullah and was arrested from the vicinity of Pacher Agam district.
  • rferl- Afghan Security Forces Kill Seven Militants In Operation
    Afghan security forces have killed seven militants in the latest military operation in Logar Province, where Taliban insurgents have a strong presence, a local police chief has said. Esmatullah Alizai said that government forces also seized weapons from the militants during the operation in Logar's volatile Charkh district on March 24.
  • KP- Afghan intelligence arrest 6 involved in major terrorist activities in Herat
    The Afghan Intelligence operatives have arrested a group of six militants involved in major terrorist activities in western Herat province of Afghanistan. The National Directorate of Security (NDS) in a statement said the militants were arrested during an operation conducted by the Special Forces of the Afghan Intelligence.
  • BNA- Taliban Rebels Killed In Jawzjan Operation
    Eight Taliban insurgents were killed and 4 others were injured in a clearing operation conducted by security troops in Jawzjan province yesterday. A security source of Jawzjan province told BNA
  • BNA- Taliban And Daesh Loyalists Sustained Casualties In Nangarhar Strikes
    Taliban and Daesh fighters sustained heavy casualties in air and ground raids conducted by security forces in Nangarhar province. The raids carried out in the last 24 hours on hideouts of Taliban and Daesh in Kot , Khogyani and Achen districts of Nangarhar province, in the attacks 40 armed oppositions were killed while terrorist and destructive activities.
  • APP- Fencing at Pak-Afghan border commences
    Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Qamar Javed Bajwa on Saturday said that fencing on Pakistan-Afghanistan border had commenced and border areas in Bajaur and Mohmand agencies, being high threat zones, were first priority for that.
  • KP- ISIS leaders among 22 killed in airstrikes in East of Afghanistan
    At least twenty two militants affiliated with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terrorist group were killed in a series of airstrikes conducted in eastern Nangarhar province of Afghanistan. The 201st Silab Corps of the Afghan National Army (ANA) forces in Eastern Afghanistan said the airstrikes were carried out on Friday in the vicinity of Nazian district.
  • Reuters- Violence, corruption threaten Afghan progress in getting kids to school
    Afghanistan's progress in educating its children is under threat, as growing insecurity and corruption shut more schools and reduced international funding undermines a system struggling to cope. Rising school attendance, up from fewer than a million when the Taliban were ousted from power in 2001 to more than seven million today, has been held up as a major success in efforts to rebuild Afghanistan from decades of war.
  • KP- Defense Ministry and Local Govt rejects fall of Sangin to Taliban
    The Ministry of Defense and the Local Government in Helmand have rejected the control of Sangin district has fallen to Taliban. According to a statement by MoD, the Taliban claims regarding the capture of a military base in Sangin and fall of the district are baseless
  • rferl- Save The Children Says 400,000 Afghans Will Drop Out Of School This Year
    An international advocacy group says more than 400,000 children in Afghanistan will likely drop out of school during the current school year because of growing instability and an influx of forced refugee returns from neighboring Pakistan. U.S.-based Save the Children on March 23 said one-third of all Afghan children – some 3.7 million – are unable to go to school -- making them susceptible to recruitment by armed groups, trafficking, child labor, early marriage, and other forms of exploitation.

British military casualties - Editorial policy

In the service of our country.

Eulogies for all personnel killed on UK operations in Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere are posted as soon as they have been released by the UK Ministry of Defence. Each eulogy we publish for men down in operations brings a lump to the throat. We are losing the best of the best. Politicians must ensure that, when the newspaper cuttings have faded, their sacrifice has had some meaning, has helped bring about a good result. Anything else would be a waste for which they will be eternally condemned.

There is invariably at least a 24 hour gap between the official release of news of an event and the naming of the dead. This is to allow families to be informed and proper eulogoies to be produced. Occasionally families request no euologies or comment. We abide by guidance we receive on such sensitive matters. We regret that information on those who sacrifice almost as much through grave injury is seldom released by the MoD for operational reasons, and so we are unable to pay tribute.

 

Cookies
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Defence Viewpoints website. However, if you would like to, you can modify your browser so that it notifies you when cookies are sent to it or you can refuse cookies altogether. You can also delete cookies that have already been set. You may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of desktop browsers. Please note that you will lose some features and functionality on this website if you choose to disable cookies. For example, you may not be able to link into our Twitter feed, which gives up to the minute perspectives on defence and security matters.