Tuesday, 20 February 2018
logo
Up-to-the-minute perspectives on defence, security and peace
issues from and for policy makers and opinion leaders.
        



dv-header-dday
     |      View our Twitter page at twitter.com/defenceredbox     |     

inmemoriam

From the MoD:

It is with great sorrow that the Ministry of Defence must confirm the deaths of Private Damian Wright and Private Ben Ford who were killed in Helmand province, southern Afghanistan, on Wednesday 5 September 2007.

The soldiers, both from the 2nd Battalion The Mercian Regiment (Worcesters and Foresters), were taking part in a routine reassurance patrol 17km north of Lashkar Gah when, shortly after 0915 hours local time, the Land Rover vehicle they were travelling in was caught in an explosion. Sadly they were both pronounced dead at the scene.
Another soldier and an interpreter who were injured in the explosion were flown by helicopter to the ISAF medical facility at Camp Bastion for treatment. The interpreter later died of his injuries.

Private Ben Ford and Private Damian Wright are the first fatalities from the newly formed 2nd Battalion, The Mercian Regiment (Worcesters and Foresters), formerly known as the 1st Battalion the Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters Regiment (29th/45th of Foot).

---------------------------------------------------------

Sept 2008 Update : Inquest Statement on the deaths of Private Ford and Private Wright -from the MoD
Our thoughts and sympathies remain with the families and friends of Private Ford and Private Wright at this difficult time. We were immensely saddened at their deaths in Helmand Province, Afghanistan on 5 September 2007. We note the Coroner's comments at today's inquest and his Rule 43 letter; we will reply in due course, once we have had a chance to consider his recommendations fully. There is now sufficient ECM available in theatre for all vehicles to operate outside the wire under its protection; we do not deploy vehicles unless they are covered. Vehicles in operational theatres are now 'fitted for' ECM as matter of routine, and ECM equipment is installed as required by the local tactical situation.

At the time of Privates Ford and Wright's deaths, their Commanding Officer, Lieutenant Colonel Simon Banton, Commanding Officer 2nd Battalion the Mercian Regiment (Worcesters & Foresters), said:

"Private Ford was a tremendous young soldier. Fit and enthusiastic, hardworking and committed to his comrades and a career in the Army. He will be sorely missed but never forgotten by all those who had the honour to serve alongside him."

"Private Wright was one of the key characters in our Battalion. Full of life, a natural comedian and a man guaranteed to lift the spirits of the most down hearted. He was devoted to his son, Joshua, and our thoughts are with him at this desperate time. Private Wright will not be forgotten by anyone who had the pleasure and privilege of meeting him."

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Latest from icasualties.org

  • ToloNews- Bodies Of 12 Hostages Found In Nangarhar
    Tribal elders in Nangarhar province said on Monday the bodies of at least 12 local residents were found in Kot district on Sunday – all of whom are believed to have been killed by Daesh. According to the tribal elders the victims had been abducted by Daesh militants more than a year ago from Kot district in Nangarhar province. The tribal elders said the funeral ceremonies for the deceased will be held on Monday. However, local officials have not commented.
  • KP- US drone strike kills 7 ISIS militants in Kunar province
    At least seven militants affiliated with the Islamic State terror group were killed in US drone strike in eastern Kunar province of Afghanistan. According to the local security officials, the latest drone strike was carried out in the vicinity of Chapara Dara district. Acting provincial security chief Zaman Ayar confirmed the airstrike and said at least seven militants affiliated with the terror group were killed.
  • KP- Afghan forces rescue 30 people from the militants cell in Laghman
    The Afghan National Defense and Security Forces have rescued at least 30 people from a detention cell belonging to the anti-government armed militant groups in eastern Laghman province of Afghanistan. According to the local officials, the Afghan forces discovered the detention cell in the vicinity of Alingar district on Sunday.
  • WaPo- Deadly bomb attacks in Afghanistan leave street cleaners with a gruesome task
    When Yar Mohammad Mohammadi joined the municipal street cleaning crew here over a decade ago, he was expecting some unpleasant tasks. But nothing prepared him for the grim debris he encountered after a bloody bombing in central Kabul last month. “We found hands, feet — even a head,” recalled Mohammadi, 40. “I couldn’t eat for the next two days. I was horrified.”

British military casualties - Editorial policy

In the service of our country.

Eulogies for all personnel killed on UK operations in Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere are posted as soon as they have been released by the UK Ministry of Defence. Each eulogy we publish for men down in operations brings a lump to the throat. We are losing the best of the best. Politicians must ensure that, when the newspaper cuttings have faded, their sacrifice has had some meaning, has helped bring about a good result. Anything else would be a waste for which they will be eternally condemned.

There is invariably at least a 24 hour gap between the official release of news of an event and the naming of the dead. This is to allow families to be informed and proper eulogoies to be produced. Occasionally families request no euologies or comment. We abide by guidance we receive on such sensitive matters. We regret that information on those who sacrifice almost as much through grave injury is seldom released by the MoD for operational reasons, and so we are unable to pay tribute.

 

Cookies
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Defence Viewpoints website. However, if you would like to, you can modify your browser so that it notifies you when cookies are sent to it or you can refuse cookies altogether. You can also delete cookies that have already been set. You may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of desktop browsers. Please note that you will lose some features and functionality on this website if you choose to disable cookies. For example, you may not be able to link into our Twitter feed, which gives up to the minute perspectives on defence and security matters.