Thursday, 16 August 2018
logo
Up-to-the-minute perspectives on defence, security and peace
issues from and for policy makers and opinion leaders.
        



dv-header-dday
     |      View our Twitter page at twitter.com/defenceredbox     |     

inmemoriam

The Ministry of Defence has confirmed the death of Staff Sergeant Olaf Sean George Schmid, of the Royal Logistic Corps, in Afghanistan on the afternoon of Saturday 31 October 2009.

SSgt Schmid died instantly following an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) explosion in the Sangin region of Helmand Province.

At the time he was commanding an Improvised Explosive Device Disposal (IEDD) team who were dealing with a confirmed IED.


Working in concert with an Advanced Search team he was conducting a manual route search to clear devices in the vicinity of the Forward Operating Base and was defusing the device when it initiated.

SSgt Schmid was born in Truro, Cornwall on 11 June 1979. He was married to Christina (Chrissy) and had a step-son Laird, aged five. They lived together as a family in Winchester.

An Ammunition Technician (AT) by trade, SSgt Schmid served much of his career at the Commando Logistic Regt and thrived in 3 Commando Brigade, the ethos there suiting his thirst for soldiering.

He sailed through the ranks and was selected for promotion to SSgt in April 2008. SSgt Schmid was posted to 11 Explosive Ordnance Disposal Regiment, Royal Logistic Corps as an AT Senior Non-Commissioned Officer at Alpha Troop providing close IEDD support to Special Forces and Police Tactical Firearms teams; an area in which he continued to thrive.

He had a natural aptitude for IEDD and made steady progress through the numerous courses that an AT has to go through to become a High Threat Operator. He successfully passed the High Threat IEDD Course earlier this year which qualified him to operate in Afghanistan which is considered very much the pinnacle of any AT's operational career.

SSgt Schmid arrived in theatre on Op HERRICK 10 in June 2009, thrown in the deep-end participating in Op PANCHAI PALANG during the summer. During the course of his tour, he attended 41 tasks, rendered safe 64 IEDs and attended 11 finds of bomb making equipment.

Lieutenant Col Robert Thomson, Commanding Officer 2 RIFLES Battle Group said:

"SSgt Oz Schmid was simply the bravest and most courageous man I have ever met. Under relentless IED and small arms attacks he stood taller than the tallest. He opened the Pharmacy Road and 24 hrs later, found 31 IEDs in one go on route SPARTA. Every single Company in 2 RIFLES adored working with him.

"I adored working with him. No matter how difficult or lethal the task which lay in front of us, he was the man who only saw solutions.

"He saved lives in 2 RIFLES time after time and for that he will retain a very special place in every heart of every Rifleman in our extraordinary Battle Group. Superlatives do not do the man justice. Better than the best. Better than the best of the best. Our thoughts and prayers are with his beloved family."

Lieutenant Colonel Gareth Bex RLC, Commanding Officer Counter IED Task Force said:

"SSgt Oz Schmid was a brilliant IEDD operator and a superb soldier. We loved him like a brother; he was a much adored member of our close knit family.

"His example will urge us on with greater determination as we continue the C-IED fight he fought so valiantly. He had such a bright future ahead of him in a career that he so blatantly loved; the Army has been robbed of a superb talent.

"With his tousled hair and boyish grin his effervescent presence was always good for morale and he had an infectious enthusiasm.

"Once met, never forgotten his wicked sense of humour was legendary; he received so many accolades from the Battle Groups for his professionalism, courage and vibrant personality.

"It was an honour to serve with him and a privilege to have been his Commanding Officer. He will be revered for ever in 11 EOD Regiment RLC as a hero and an inspiration to all who follow him; he takes his rightful place alongside recent fallen comrades WO2 Gaz O'Donnell GM+Bar and Captain Dan Shepherd.

"SSgt Schmid stood proud amongst some formidable men serving here in Afghanistan; the tag 'legend' is frequently bestowed nowadays but in his case it is rightly justified - SSgt Schmid was a legend.

"His courage was not displayed in a fleeting moment of time; he stared death in the face on a daily basis. Many soldiers and ordinary Afghans owe their lives to SSgt Schmid's gallant actions and his sacrifice will never be forgotten."

Lt Col Nicholas Kitson, Commanding Officer 3 RIFLES Battle Group said:

"The minute I met SSgt Schmid only a few weeks ago on a heli pad with my predecessor here, CO 2 RIFLES, it was clear that he was a legendary figure.

"Full of boundless energy and humour, loved and respected by all, he was both our greatest source of morale back in the FOB and our most precious military asset in the deadly cat and mouse game we play daily with the insurgent bombers.

"He exuded confidence and professionalism but was self-effacing and modest in the extreme, always ready to make fun of himself and have a laugh with all around him.

"He is this Battle Group's first loss and although he has been with us (or more accurately we with him) only a few weeks, it is the most painful of first blows.

"He has saved many lives and he made the ultimate sacrifice doing just that. He will be impossible to forget and will be sorely missed by all. He will, though, remain an inspiration to us all. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his family; we share their grief."

Major Tim Gould QGM RLC, Officer Commanding Joint Force EOD Group said:

"SSgt Oz Schmid was a man of extreme courage who revelled in this the most challenging and dangerous of environments.

"To see him out here in Afghanistan was to view a man very much in his element; he simply loved what he did, in fact, you would swear that he was born for it.

"An enigma when I met him; a pleasure to have known him; an honour to have served with him; a travesty to lose him.

"A superlative individual, a soldier of the very highest calibre, who will be deeply missed. In all my time in the Army, I have never met, nor am I ever likely to meet a man like SSgt Schmid again; he truly was a once in a generation phenomenon."

SSgt Shaun Marsh, Royal Engineer Search Advisor said:

"Oz was a very professional person, both with work and socialising aspects. He loved his job and has been operating for four months in Afghanistan, all over the province including on Panchai Palang.

"My team and I have been working with him for two months now. He was an inspiration to the team; full of knowledge and mostly his bubbly charisma and sense of humour.

"Oz was bubbly all the time, from first light to last light. He loved working with 2 & 3 RIFLES for their professionalism and also enjoyed working in the Sangin area.

"He will be missed by us all and many others. Our thoughts go to his wife and son and family. God let him rest in peace."

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Latest from icasualties.org

  • KP- ISIS claims responsibility for the deadly attack in Kabul city
    The Islamic State of Iraq and Syria Khurasan (ISIS-K) has claimed responsibility behind the deadly attack in capital Kabul targeting an education center. The group’s Amaq news agency claimed the responsibility by issuing short statement on Thursday. Without disclosing further proofs, the group claimed that a suicide bomber belonging to the group carried out an attack in Shi’ite area o Kabul city.
  • 1tvnews- Siege near spy training center in Kabul ends
    Afghan forces killed two gunmen who entered an unfinished building to launch attack on nearby intelligence service training center in Kabul on Thursday. The gunmen got into the building in Qalai Wazir in Police District 5, west Kabul, around 10:00a.m. Sporadic gunfires, and a couple of explosions were heard from site of the attack and after six hours, authorities declared that the siege ended.
  • KP- Taliban militants suffer heavy casualties in US airstrikes in Helmand
    The Taliban militants have suffered heavy casualties during the airstrikes conducted by the US forces in southern Helmand province of Afghanistan. The provincial government media office in a statement said the US forces carried out airstrikes targeting Taliban militants in Nad Ali district. The statement further added that the airstrike was carried out in the vicinity of Chah Anjir area of the district, leaving at least 13 militants dead.
  • KP- Fresh clashes erupt among Taliban and ISIS in Nangarhar province
    Fresh clashes have erupted among the Taliban militants and the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria Khurasan (ISIS-K) militants in eastern Nangarhar province of Afghanistan. The 201st Silab Corps of the Afghan Military in the East said the latest clashes have erupted between the two sides in Deh Bala district. The source further added that the latest clashes have left one ISIS militant dead so far.
  • KP- Bodies of Pakistanis killed in Ghazni city being shifted to Pakistan
    Khattak was citing reports regarding the killing and apprehension of several Pakistani militants during the Ghazni clashes as he asked the Pakistani authorities in for an explanation. Calling the involvement of the Pakistani militants the repetition of the Jalalabad fiasco in 1989, Khattak said authorities in Pakistan must change its policy.
  • rferl- Afghanistan, The 'Unintended Casualty' Of U.S. Sanctions On Iran
    As the United States reinstates crippling economic sanctions on Iran, Washington's ally in the region, Afghanistan, could become collateral damage. A first wave of U.S. sanctions against Iran that had been eased under a 2015 nuclear deal went back into effect on August 7, targeting the country's economy. But Washington's censures of Tehran will also hurt Afghanistan, which has forged increasingly strong economic links with its western neighbor.
  • Reuters- Afghan Taliban considering Eid holiday ceasefire
    The Taliban are considering announcing a ceasefire during next week’s Eid holiday, despite heavy fighting seen over recent days in the central Afghan city of Ghazni, two senior Taliban officials said. They said no decision had been taken but senior leaders would meet either on Tuesday evening or Wednesday to discuss the option, which was being pushed by some Muslim states and other parties with good relations to the movement.
  • KP- Afghan forces foil bomb explosions in two different parts of Kabul
    The Afghan security forces have foiled two explosions in two different parts of capital Kabul as the anti-government armed militants are attempting to increase attacks in key provinces and cities of the country. The Criminal Investigation Department said Tuesday that an improvised explosive device was discovered from Deh Mazang area of the city close to Park Shahr.
  • Stripes- Battle for Ghazni ebbs as Taliban capture base in northern Afghanistan
    The U.S. military appears to have ended its bombing campaign in the embattled city of Ghazni, which was the scene of heavy fighting after the Taliban tried to storm it on Friday. An Afghan-led clearing operation to drive the last remaining insurgents from the city, located about 100 miles southwest of Kabul, was underway on Tuesday evening, but no U.S. air support had been needed for the first time since fighting started on Friday, U.S. Forces-Afghanistan said in a statement.
  • Reuters- Afghan forces say regaining control of much of besieged city
    After five days of fighting, Ghazni, a strategically vital center two hours from Kabul on the main highway between the capital and southern Afghanistan was a city of burned-out buildings and vehicles with bodies lying in the streets. Local officials had been warning for months that the Taliban’s growing control over surrounding districts had left Ghazni vulnerable to attack and President Ashraf Ghani faced bitter accusations over the failure to protect the city.

British military casualties - Editorial policy

In the service of our country.

Eulogies for all personnel killed on UK operations in Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere are posted as soon as they have been released by the UK Ministry of Defence. Each eulogy we publish for men down in operations brings a lump to the throat. We are losing the best of the best. Politicians must ensure that, when the newspaper cuttings have faded, their sacrifice has had some meaning, has helped bring about a good result. Anything else would be a waste for which they will be eternally condemned.

There is invariably at least a 24 hour gap between the official release of news of an event and the naming of the dead. This is to allow families to be informed and proper eulogoies to be produced. Occasionally families request no euologies or comment. We abide by guidance we receive on such sensitive matters. We regret that information on those who sacrifice almost as much through grave injury is seldom released by the MoD for operational reasons, and so we are unable to pay tribute.

 

Cookies
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Defence Viewpoints website. However, if you would like to, you can modify your browser so that it notifies you when cookies are sent to it or you can refuse cookies altogether. You can also delete cookies that have already been set. You may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of desktop browsers. Please note that you will lose some features and functionality on this website if you choose to disable cookies. For example, you may not be able to link into our Twitter feed, which gives up to the minute perspectives on defence and security matters.