Saturday, 22 July 2017
logo
Up-to-the-minute perspectives on defence, security and peace
issues from and for policy makers and opinion leaders.
        



dv-header-dday
     |      View our Twitter page at twitter.com/defenceredbox     |     

inmemoriam

Obituaries published in The Times and elsewhere


Wing Commander John Smith-Carington, AFC 26 October 1921 - 25 June 2009

Wartime Mosquito pilot

Henry Allingham 6 June 1896 - 18 July 2009

Last known survivor of the Royal Naval Air Service, who served at Jutland and in France during World War 1, and the world's oldest man

Major General John Carpenter CB, MBE 21 June 1921 - 8 July 2009

Evacuated from Dunkirk, service in Western Desert, Sicily and Normandy

Edward Kenna VC 6 July 1919 - 8 July 2009

Australian decorated fearless gallantry in fierce fighting in New Guinea in 1945

Lt Cdr Max Shean DSO and Bar 6 July 1918 - 15 June 2009

Australian X-craft sailor in attacks on Bergan and Singapore-Saigon subsea cable

Bela Kiraly 14 April 1912 - 4 July 2009

Commander of the Hungarian National Guard during 1956 uprising who organised resistance

Peter Lake MC 30 January 1915 - 26 June 2009

Wartime veteran of Special Operations Executive and saboteur in Occupied France

Sqn Ldr Leonard Feltham DFC 15 September 1921 - 4 June 2009

Spitfire pilot over Europe, Western Desert, India and Far East

Wing Commander Ken Mackenzie DFC, AFC, AE 8 June 1916 - 4 June 2009

Battle of Britain ace who got home from Stalag Luft III by feigning madness

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Latest from icasualties.org

  • KP- Taliban launch coordinated car bombing in Helmand using Humvee vehicles
    The Taliban insurgents launched a coordinated attack on the security posts in southern Helmand province of Afghanistan, carrying out at least two car bombings using the Humvee armored vehicles. According to the local government officials, the attack was launched earlier today in Gereshk district and a standoff is underway between the insurgents and the security forces.
  • KP- Taliban and Haqqani network planned attacks from Pakistan safe havens
    The United States Department of States released its latest reports regarding on terrorism for 2016 providing an overall report regarding the terrorism related upheavals during the year. The new report by the State Department further strengthens the claims made by the Afghan officials regarding the presence of the safe havens of the Taliban and Haqqani terrorist network inside the Pakistani territory.
  • KP- Six rockets land near Sayyaf’s residence in Kabul
    At least six rockets landed near the residence of Abdul Rab Rasool Sayyaf, the former Afghan lawmaker and one of the prominent political and Jihadi leaders of the country. Sources close to Sayyaf said the incident took place earlier today in Paghman district after six rockets fired from unknown location landed in the vicinity close to Sayyaf’s house.
  • ToloNews- Three Suicide Bombers Using Humvees Hit Helmand Outposts
    Three Taliban suicide bombers carried out coordinated attacks using Humvees on security outposts in Gareshk district of southern Helmand province early Thursday, local officials said. Six policemen were wounded in the explosions. The attacks happened at about 6am local time in Ab Pash, Da Adam Khan and Parchaw areas of Gareshk, a spokesman for the provincial governor, Omar Zwak said adding that the explosives had been placed inside the Humvees.
  • UPI- U.S. gov't contractor in Afghanistan pleads guilty to $250K scheme
    A former employee of a U.S. government contractor in Afghanistan pleaded guilty to accepting more than $250,000 in illegal kickbacks from a subcontractor, in exchange for assistance in obtaining government contracts, officials said.
  • KP- ‘Father of Taliban’ Sami-ul-Haq offers conditional support to Afghan peace process
    The leader of Jamiat Ulema-e-Islam Sami (JUI-S) Maulana Sami-ul-Haq has offered a conditional support for the peace process in Afghanistan. According to a statement released by Maula Sami’s office, the leader of the party has said he is prepared to support the Afghan peace process but the foreign forces must leave the country first.
  • ToloNews- Helmand’s Nawa District Badly Damaged By Taliban
    Following the liberation of Nawa district in the south of Lashkargah city, in Helmand province, from the Taliban earlier this week, local officials said on Wednesday that the district sustained extensive damage during the Taliban's occupation. Officials said government buildings had been largely burned down by the group. The district governor Mohammad Takra said the reconstruction of Nawa will cost millions of dollars.
  • ToloNews- Eight Policemen, One Soldier Killed In Zabul Clash
    At least eight policemen were killed and seven wounded in a clash with the Taliban in Arghandab district of Zabul province, local security officials said Wednesday. Zabul police confirmed the toll and said the clash started on Tuesday night when Taliban attacked police check posts.
  • KP- Taliban militant kill his two senior leaders in Nangarhar insider attack
    A Taliban militant who was conducting insurgency activities as a local commander in Bati Kot district has killed his two senior leaders in an insider attack. According to the local government officials, the incident took place late on Tuesday night in Takia area. Bati Kot district administrative chief Nematullah Noorzai said the assailant has been identified as Khairullah who opened fire on his senior leaders late on Tuesday night, leaving two of them dead.
  • KP- Deadly Taliban offensive repulsed in Helmand, leaving 31 dead, 12 wounded
    A deadly offensive by the Taliban insurgents was repulsed by the security forces in southern Helmand province of Afghanistan, inflicting casualties to both the Afghan forces and the Taliban insurgents. According to the local government officials, the incident took place late on Tuesday night after several Taliban insurgents launched a coordinated attack on the security forces check posts in Garamser district.

British military casualties - Editorial policy

In the service of our country.

Eulogies for all personnel killed on UK operations in Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere are posted as soon as they have been released by the UK Ministry of Defence. Each eulogy we publish for men down in operations brings a lump to the throat. We are losing the best of the best. Politicians must ensure that, when the newspaper cuttings have faded, their sacrifice has had some meaning, has helped bring about a good result. Anything else would be a waste for which they will be eternally condemned.

There is invariably at least a 24 hour gap between the official release of news of an event and the naming of the dead. This is to allow families to be informed and proper eulogoies to be produced. Occasionally families request no euologies or comment. We abide by guidance we receive on such sensitive matters. We regret that information on those who sacrifice almost as much through grave injury is seldom released by the MoD for operational reasons, and so we are unable to pay tribute.

 

Cookies
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Defence Viewpoints website. However, if you would like to, you can modify your browser so that it notifies you when cookies are sent to it or you can refuse cookies altogether. You can also delete cookies that have already been set. You may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of desktop browsers. Please note that you will lose some features and functionality on this website if you choose to disable cookies. For example, you may not be able to link into our Twitter feed, which gives up to the minute perspectives on defence and security matters.