Monday, 20 May 2024
Up-to-the-minute perspectives on defence, security and peace
issues from and for policy makers and opinion leaders.

     |      View our Twitter page at     |     


1.      The Operational Honours and Awards list 36 covers a period between April and October, 2010 and April 2010. There have been over 130 citations, mostly from Operation Herrick 12 in Afghanistan, but includes awards from outside of the conflict.
2.      For more information on the Awards, their history and meaning please see the MOD website:
3.      For more information contact MOD press officers Damien Elvin 0207218 2661
4.      Please see below, selection of citations
5.      Supporting imagery from Herrick 12 is available on the dni website at  If you require a log-in and password, please contact Neil Hall or Panay Triantafillides on 0207 218 6401.

A selection of citations are below:

Serial 09:




Company Commander

Afghanistan, Apr - Sep 10

Major Totten has shown consistent, determined and outstanding leadership of a large Company Group in probably the busiest and most dangerous Company area in Sangin. His determination and seemingly limitless supply of courage ensured a strong, cohesive and operationally very effective Company where his dispersed and challenging command has been considerably tested by constant enemy action. Often leading patrols himself, knowing the significant risk to his life, proved pivotal in maintaining the fighting spirit of his men. Without support from the Afghan Army or Police, he assumed the responsibility of local engagement
himself. Quick to grasp the complexities and frictions of his area he fostered meaningful relationships, gaining their trust and support, despite incessant intimidation by the Taliban. Totten's management of unfounded allegations of civilian casualties through International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) action was text book; he investigated thoroughly, communicated widely, and publicly exposed Taliban propaganda. Totten never once lost the confidence of the people he was sent to protect, further testimony to his absolute and convincing command. The raw, patient yet decisive leadership shown by Totten was remarkable, continually tested he inspired the men in his charge, isolated from his Patrol Bases on Sangin's front line. His composed and unflinching leadership proved essential in holding a defensive line that required an extraordinary degree of resolve and immense bravery.

Serial 14:




Combat Medical Technician Class One

Afghanistan, Jul - Sep 10

Lance Corporal Henderson was the lone medic in the checkpoint she shared with 20 Scots Guardsmen and 15 Afghan Police, which was attacked over 60 times. Outside the gates the threat of bombing and shooting was extreme. The number and type of casualties Henderson has had to deal with is unprecedented. On one occasion, insurgents had placed a bomb close to the checkpoint and mistimed their attack resulting in the massive bomb exploding under a minibus taxi crammed with women and children. Henderson went into the mayhem and calmly did her work, despite the added complications and awfulness of having to deal with local Afghan infant casualties, saving those whom she could and effected their evacuation. On another occasion, a Guardsman was shot outside her checkpoint. 2 NCOs were then also shot rescuing him. Henderson got to
work on all 3 giving first aid and reassurance. In yet another awful incident, 5 Afghans were caught in an explosion close to the checkpoint. Because of Henderson's reputation for excellence which she had earned
with the Afghan people, they were brought to Said Abdul where she treated them with impressive professionalism and care, reassuring and informing the Afghan relatives through an interpreter. Henderson has had to deal with an exceptionally heavy burden of casualties in an isolated checkpoint which has been under near constant attack for 6 months. This has demanded the highest level of professionalism and commitment in desperately difficult circumstances.

Serial 15:




Company Sergeant Major

Afghanistan, Apr - Aug 10

Warrant Officer Class Two Higginbottom has been at the centre of everything, and has supported his Company Commander with total commitment through dark days, holding his company together, fighting with them in battle and consoling them in grief. The period of 12-18 June 2010 stands out as a mark of his strength, courage and leadership. Higginbottom had been leading a work party when just metres away from
him, an Improvised Explosive Device (IED) had detonated. Despite being peppered with fragmentation wounds to the face, and covered with the debris of the explosion he immediately took control of the situation,
coordinating medical treatment whilst ensuring that the soldiers were safe, regardless of the risk of triggering another device. Two days later a patrol was operating close to Higginbottom's position when it was fired upon by insurgents from three different directions in a coordinated machine gun attack. A soldier was shot twice in the chest and the battle raged on as he was dragged back into a small section of cover still isolated from the rest of the patrol. Higginbottom grabbed the Medical Officer and a small team and led them across ten metres of open ground to reach the casualty, before stemming the bleeding and then carrying him to safety. Realising that sensitive electronic equipment had been left at the point of wounding which could have fallen into enemy hands putting more lives at risk Higginbottom, without hesitation went alone to drag the heavy kit back to the cover of the patrol. Higginbottom has consistently been a tower of strength, giving his
company the confidence they need to step out of the gate in the knowledge of what awaits them, always looking after his men before considering himself.

Serial 19:




Officer Commanding, Brigade Reconnaissance Force

Afghanistan, Mar - Oct 10

Major Mudd has consistently displayed the most outstanding and inspirational of leadership while in command of the Brigade Reconnaissance Force (BRF). He has borne sole responsibility for the selection, training and superb operational performance of this elite sub-unit and has shown calm courage, unwavering judgement and exceptional tactical acumen. The BRF has been committed wherever the fighting has been most intense, operating for long periods beyond the security of bases, in close proximity to the enemy, often in scorching temperatures. Mudd has led every mission, consistently placing himself to the fore, often consciously exposed to enemy fire, in order to exercise command and control most effectively. The operational tempo has been punishing. After each mission, he has scarcely paused before starting to plan the next, each requiring intense preparation, often at short notice. Mudd has planned with faultless precision, demonstrating a clear intellectual grasp of the principles of modern counter-insurgency. Mudd has consistently displayed leadership of the highest calibre under highly demanding operational circumstances. He has formed, trained and led an elite force that, time and again, has accomplished complex, arduous and dangerous missions.

Serial 23:




Alpha Mortar Fire Controller

Afghanistan, 17 Sep 10

Acting Sergeant Pun's platoon had been manning two checkpoints in the east of a remote village. This isolated outpost had been attacked regularly since being established, with grenade attacks being the preferred enemy tactic. On the evening of the day in question, Pun was one of four men left in the southern compound because the platoon had pushed out a patrol to dominate the road to the east in readiness for
the next day's parliamentary elections. All were taking turns to man a single sangar position on the roof in the centre of the compound. Pun was on duty when he heard a clinking noise to the south of the checkpoint and had the presence of mind to gather up two radios, which would enable him to both speak to his Commander and to call in artillery support, his personal weapon, and a General Purpose Machine Gun. Realising that he was about to be attacked, he quickly informed his Commander on one of the radios, and fired a weapon launched grenade at the enemy. Pun single-handedly fought off an enemy attack onto his lightly manned position. In the dark he took the enemy head on as he moved around his position to fend off the attack from three sides, killing three assailants and causing the others to flee. In doing so he saved the lives of his three comrades and prevented the position from being overrun. Pun could never know how many enemies were attempting to overcome his position, but he sought them out from all angles despite the danger, consistently moving towards them to reach the best position of attack.

Serial 24:




Troop Commander Patrol Base

Afghanistan, 20 Jun 10

Lieutenant Anrude's patrol left his Patrol Base accompanying an Afghan Special Forces Unit to speak with locals at a mosque with Anrude leading, through a complex and unfamiliar maze of alleyways when without
warning a gunman appeared from a doorway, only metres away and unleashed a hail of automatic fire. Anrude was hit twice, once in the head striking his helmet, and once in the arm while two other patrol members were seriously injured with neither man able to walk unaided. Ignoring his own significant injuries, Anrude took immediate and decisive command of the situation and courageously led his troop fighting, during their extraction out of the close alleyways and into open ground where the patrol quickly came under sustained and accurate fire from at least two separate enemy ambushes. Without effective cover and with casualties, Anrude chose to extract his patrol across two hundred metres of open ground. Leading by example, he picked up the injured Afghan soldier and with bursts of accurate fire striking around him, carried the soldier to safety, pausing only to return fire. Anrude's exceptional leadership and selfless gallantry proved crucial to the success of this mission. His command was inspiring, by coordinating both the medical evacuation and the effective suppression of the enemy, he courageously regained the initiative and certainly prevented further casualties.

Serial 26:




Rifle Troop Marine

Afghanistan, 14 May 10

Marine Lockwood was the lead point man operating the Vallon metal detector on a patrol into an infamously hostile zone, which was routinely saturated with Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs). Lockwood's patrol was ambushed by accurate and sustained enemy fire as it cleared a tree line and he was hit and knocked to the ground, the bullet passing through the side of his body armour and ricocheting off his weapon into his left hand. Rather than seeking cover or aid, Lockwood leapt into a position where he could return fire, fighting to regain the initiative and allow the patrol to withdraw out of danger. He refused to forsake his responsibility as lead man, swapping the Vallon over to his uninjured hand and despite the significant pain and shock of having been shot, calmly lead his patrol out of danger. Lockwood carefully searched for buried IEDs and remained focused, knowing any mistake would prove fatal. As Lockwood led the patrol out of one ambush, another enemy position began to fire at them from the very direction they were heading in. Yet Lockwood with tremendous composure and gallantry under fire, pressed on as this was the patrol's only route to safety. With only one hand, Lockwood calmly cleared and marked the route around no less than seven suspected devices, only allowing treatment and evacuation to hospital when he was assured of the patrol's safety. Lockwood under the most testing and stressful of conditions, with complete disregard for his own injuries and safety, courageously executed his duties.

Serial 33:




Afghan Army Embedded Advisor

Afghanistan, 11 Jun 10

Captain Scott was employed as an advisor to an Afghan Army Battalion when he undertook a partnered foot patrol into an area of Helmand with a group of twenty Afghan soldiers when they came under intense automatic fire from four firing points to their front and flanks between 150 and 250 metres away. Two Afghan Warriors were very seriously injured in the opening bursts, one shot through the thigh was unable to move, and left dreadfully exposed to enemy small arms and rocket propelled grenade fire in the open ground. Scott coordinated the immediate response to this attack, initially moving his troops into cover. Then, with no thought for his own safety, and with limited and largely ineffective covering fire from a single dismounted machine gun, he left the relative protection and cover of a low wall and crawled forward two to three metres to the injured Afghan soldier. Under very accurate small arms fire, lying besides the casualty, Scott applied a tourniquet and provided immediate life saving first aid for approximately two minutes, commanding the fight around him, and ordering the call forward of a lightly protected vehicle to support them. With accurate rifle and machine gun fire striking the front of the vehicle, Scott led and supervised the loading of the casualty into the vehicle and commanded the subsequent recovery of both casualties to an emergency helicopter landing site. Under intense enemy fire, Scott displayed leadership and courage of the most extraordinary kind.

Serial 35:




Section Commander

Afghanistan, Apr - Jun 10

Corporal Ward, operating from an isolated outpost in Helmand, demonstrated outstanding gallantry and leadership whilst involved in three hard-fought contacts during the mission to expand security around his Company's base. For example On 23 April 10, Ward's Section was occupying a compound to provide cover for other troops when a patrol to their front came under heavy and accurate fire, pinned down with rounds coming from numerous firing points. Pausing only to brief his men, Ward led them out into the withering fire, winning the firefight and enabling them to extract from the area. A few days later, they were ambushed by
insurgents using small arms, machine guns and rocket propelled grenades forcing them to take cover. Ignoring the danger, Ward took to his feet and fired a Light Anti-Structures Munitions rocket into the enemy centre of mass, knocking the enemy off balance and reducing their effectiveness. Under his leadership, his section soon overcame the enemy, advancing and forcing them from their positions without friendly loss. Corporal Ward has consistently displayed actions which were selflessly brave as he demonstrated, conspicuous courage and inspirational leadership in the face of the enemy whilst repeatedly salvaging deteriorating situations and saving the lives of his men.

Serial 38:




Immediate Reaction Team Aircraft Captain

Afghanistan, 01 Oct 10

Squadron Leader Roberts led his crew on three medical missions recovering four Category A casualties, the second of which was conducted under the most extreme enemy threat. Tasked to recover two US casualties, Roberts and his crew routed to the area, along with an Apache Helicopter escort to find that there was still a major firefight ongoing. With US aircraft engaging targets in the vicinity of the casualty, Roberts initially held off over the desert while the Apache attempted to gain situational awareness. Roberts directed his crew to
carry out a confidence check of the aircraft weapon systems when the port mini gun suffered an unrecoverable stoppage, effectively rendered the port side of the aircraft undefended. It was at this point that an update was received informing that one of the casualties had died of his wounds and the second was rapidly deteriorating. With a reported lull in the firefight, Roberts decided to ingress to the landing site but
spotted the ground forces and splash from enemy small arms fire all around the Helicopter Landing Site (HLS), followed by the distinctive noise of rounds impacting the aircraft. Roberts displayed the very highest levels of courage in placing his aircraft on the ground as the firefight again intensified. With mortar fire and two rounds bracketing the aircraft, the body of the dead solider and the critically wounded casualty were quickly loaded. Surrounded by the enemy, Roberts took-off and was engaged immediately, the aircraft suffering hits to the fuselage. Roberts led his crew with calmness, inspiring them to persevere through the most dangerous conditions. His captaincy, airmanship and gallantry were of the highest order.

Serial 42:




Company Medic

Afghanistan, 09 Jun 10

During his first deployment, Lance Corporal Shelley had departed to recover an injured Marine suffering from gunshot wounds, to await evacuation by helicopter to a Forward Operating Base when it was reported that the incoming helicopter had crashed. Knowing that his medical skills would be required, Shelley immediately ran to the crash site, where on arrival, he was confronted with the burning wreckage of the helicopter, a trapped crew, exploding ammunition, and the ongoing risk of further enemy fire. Despite the smoke and flames around him, Shelley entered the wreckage to quickly triage the four crew members that he could see. With assistance Shelley cut the unconscious pilot free from his harness and ordered others who had now arrived to give assistance to take him to a second helicopter which had landed nearby. Shelley then returned to rescue the trapped co-pilot, carrying him to safety before performing the delicate clinical procedure of inserting a tube into the throat of the co-pilot, after consultation with air rescue team from the second helicopter. Shelley then returned to the burning wreck in an attempt to rescue another occupant whose situation unfortunately proved beyond help. Shelley remained with his fellow rescuers at the crash site until the flames died down to oversee the traumatic task of freeing the bodies of the remaining Airmen. Despite
his relative inexperience and with utter disregard for his own safety, Shelley was instrumental in saving the lives of three coalition airmen.

Serial 47:




Force Fire Officer

Afghanistan, 16 - 17 May 10

Being one of the first to arrive at the scene of a fire, Warrant Officer Bowden immediately recognized the severity of the situation and without hesitation, assumed command of the incident. However, some forty minutes later, a catastrophic dust storm took hold, with gusting winds exceeding 60 knots that drove the fire and reduced visibility down to metres. This combination of dust storm and inferno generated a grave threat to Bowden and his team's lives but with a display of incredible awareness of the situation, Bowden decided to remain and fight the fire, only withdrawing his team at the last safe moment. Showing no fear, Bowden was the last to withdraw from the fire, spending considerable time and exposure to personal danger in accounting for all his men. Leading from the front, Bowden brought his team back to tackle the inferno, halting it on the opposite side of the street to the bulk fuel installation containing over one and a half million gallons of fuel. Despite regular explosions and the knowledge that there were more gas cylinders in the area, Bowden led his team deep into the heart of the blaze to push the flames back and relieve the pressure on the threatened fuel installation. Despite suffering disabling smoke injuries to his eyes, and in some pain, Bowden remained at his post throughout the night and well into the next afternoon to oversee the successful culmination of the fire. There is no doubt that Bowden's courageous and unselfish efforts in leading his team
of brave fire fighters was fundamental in minimising injury and preventing loss of life in this incident.

Serial 53:





Afghanistan, 15 Jul 10

Marine Tostevin was manning a sentry position covering an open slope in front of his patrol base when two marines, who were moving up the steep slope back to the patrol base, suddenly came under sustained and heavy enemy fire. Unable to manoeuvre, they were left stranded and Tostevin's sentry position was simultaneously engaged by the enemy. Before he could locate the enemy and return fire, Tostevin was shot in the head and knocked to the ground by the impact of the direct strike against his helmet. The bullet had penetrated his helmet, grazing his skull and caused serious injury. Tostevin got to his feet and immediately began to return fire with his machine gun, breaking the enemy's momentum. Tostevin remained resolute and his covering fire allowed his comrades to reach the safety of the patrol base, no doubt saving their lives. Ignoring his wound, Tostevin remained steadfast at his sentry position, only seeking medical assistance once the patrol was out of danger, by which time he was suffering with deep shock. Tostevin's actions had
changed the outcome of the engagement, allowing his fellow marines to withdraw unharmed.

Serial 63:



The Royal Gurkha Rifles


Afghanistan, 27 Jun 10

Rifleman Gurung, serving on his first operational tour, had been occupying a compound from which his team was protecting a search of a nearby route, to ensure that it was clear of Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs). An enemy sharp shooter attempting to prevent the search fired a single shot which struck one of the soldiers. Hearing the shot, Gurung headed out of the compound towards the casualty, across the ten metres of exposed ground and through enemy fire. He then leapt into the ditch where the casualty had fallen and administered first aid before attempting to drag him back towards the cover of the compound. Due to the weight of his equipment, Gurung quickly realised that he could not achieve this on his own and so ran back into the compound to summons assistance before leading a team of two back out again, to carry the soldier back in to the compound. In attempting a rescue a stricken comrade under effective enemy sniper fire, Gurung showed courage and selflessness of the highest order.

Serial 72:



Scots Guards

Section Commander

Afghanistan, 17 May 10

Lance Sergeant Leyden was the Section Commander of a patrol that was mounted in response to local national reporting of insurgent activity and intimidation in an area that the Platoon did not know well. Crossing an open field, Leyden's multiple came under accurate and heavy machine gun fire from 3 compounds at a range of 250 metres. Most made it to a nearby drainage ditch for cover with the exception of Leyden and an injured soldier. Leyden quickly identified the insurgents' firing points and returned accurate fire, buying crucial seconds for his comrades in the ditch to set up a fire-base from which to suppress the enemy before he crawled over to the injured soldier to administer first aid. With covering fire from Leyden and the fire base, a team was sent in to extract the casualty, but as the Platoon Sergeant prepared to lead the evacuation party down the canal to a waiting armoured vehicle, it became apparent that a mission-essential piece of secret electronic equipment had been left where the soldier had been shot. Imperative that this should not fall into insurgent hands, Leyden volunteered to go back out to retrieve it. The team in the fire-base threw smoke and Leyden ran 80 metres back into no-man's-land taking fire as he went, hoisted the
equipment onto his back and ran, as quickly as the weight of it would allow him back to the relative safety of the riverbed. From beginning to end of the incident, Leyden displayed both great courage and coolness under fire.

Serial 75:



Coldstream Guards

Infantry Soldier

Afghanistan, 02 Jul 10

Guardsman McNally was on patrol moving towards a village which was a known insurgent stronghold, when ambushed by enemy opening fire from at least six firing points, with small arms and accurate machinegun fire. Taking cover in the vegetation and irrigation ditches, the patrol was split in two, with McNally, his Team Commander and another Guardsman separated from the rest of the patrol and pinned down, unable to
communicate with the Patrol Commander some 30 metres away. Targeted by insurgent Rocket Propelled Grenade (RPG) fire on two occasions, the Team Commander gave the order, "Prepare to move," but as he stood, he was immediately shot by a withering burst of machine gun fire. McNally knew he had to act and so with the other Guardsman giving covering fire, McNally crawled the five metres to his fallen comrade all the while under fire himself, before pulling the injured man into cover and administering life saving first aid. By now, a Jackal vehicle from another patrol had arrived to give fire support and to help evacuate the casualty but the irrigation ditches meant that it could only drive to within 40 metres and so McNally grabbed his injured colleague by the shoulder strap, stood up, and within full view of the enemy, began to drag him back to the vehicle whilst under fire.

Serial 76:



The Mercian Regiment

Platoon Sergeant

Afghanistan, 25 Aug 10

Acting Sergeant Moitt was commanding a mixed Afghan and British platoon in an isolated checkpoint which was surrounded by insurgents who then launched a grenade attack into the compound. Followed by an intense barrage of Rocket Propelled Grenades, rifle launched grenades and machine gun fire from at least five separate positions, Moitt and his men were pinned down. A dust storm had been raging for thirty-six hours and as a result, no airborne surveillance systems had been available to spot the enemy build up, and nor were they able to provide immediate assistance. When one group of insurgents managed to break into the rear of the compound, with a second gaining access onto a section of low roof that was adjacent to the wall, they were spotted by Moitt who immediately shot them with his rifle. With one third of their number having been seriously injured, key to survival lay in the use of artillery and mortars and Moitt had to coordinate their use ensuring that the defences remained firm and that all enemy attack routes were covered, whilst passing information to his Commander via radio. Moitt and his men held off further grenade and small arms fire attacks from close quarters for at least one hour until attack helicopters were able to break through the weather. Moitt's leadership undoubtedly prevented his position being overrun.

Serial 94:



The Duke of Lancaster's Regiment


Afghanistan, 06 Jul 10

Kingsman Glendinning was the lead man on patrol in an area littered with Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) when a soldier behind him stepped on an IED. Glendinning, without a second thought, quickly cleared a safe route to his injured colleague. Glendinning and his injured colleague were isolated by some twenty-five metres from the rest of the patrol because of the threat of IEDs, but with instructions being shouted by
the patrol's more experienced medic, Glendinning began to provide lifesaving first aid - carrying out procedures and using equipment he was unfamiliar with. The threat of a follow up enemy attack was high and the patrol was extremely vulnerable but Glendinning remained focussed. Forty minutes after the first explosion, the rescue helicopters arrived. Glendinning, concerned that the downwash might set off further IEDs or blow debris onto his friend's wounds, lay across his injured colleague as a human shield. Eventually, because the helicopters were unable to land due to the very high threat of further IEDs, both the casualties
and Glendinning were winched to safety.

Serial 98:



Corps of Royal Engineers

Royal Engineer Search Team Member

Afghanistan, Mar - Sep 10

Over a nine week period, Acting Lance Corporal Morris as the lead searcher in his team, volunteered daily to be the front man in the most deadly of high threat areas. Deployed on 18 tasks, much of his work was on, and near to a key road vital to the mission and he was frequently engaged with enemy fire. Morris led the search to isolate a 500lb bomb, the largest Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) find in Helmand, discovering the hidden command wire from which the device would be activated. When taking part in a critical operation to seize an insurgent held area, Morris found himself leading not only his team, but at times the entire operation. Morris found nine hidden devices. Despite the oppressive heat and obvious risk, Morris fingertip searched, inch by inch to find these deadly devices, maintaining an incredible level of concentration, missing nothing. Very few searchers volunteer to return to Afghanistan, yet Morris did exactly that on this his second tour. Morris has never once relinquished his lead role, displaying a high level of courage and commitment.

We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Defence Viewpoints website. However, if you would like to, you can modify your browser so that it notifies you when cookies are sent to it or you can refuse cookies altogether. You can also delete cookies that have already been set. You may wish to visit which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of desktop browsers. Please note that you will lose some features and functionality on this website if you choose to disable cookies. For example, you may not be able to link into our Twitter feed, which gives up to the minute perspectives on defence and security matters.