Wednesday, 20 September 2017
logo
Up-to-the-minute perspectives on defence, security and peace
issues from and for policy makers and opinion leaders.
        



dv-header-dday
     |      View our Twitter page at twitter.com/defenceredbox     |     

inmemoriam

Private John Brackpool
Prince of Wales' Company, 1st Battalion Welsh Guards

Private John Brackpool was killed on 9th July 2009 whilst on operations near Char-e-Anjir, just outside Lashkar Gah, in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. He was serving as a rifleman with the Prince of Wales' Company, 1st Battalion Welsh Guards.

John was on sentry duty on a compound that had recently been secured as part of Operation Panther's Claw, when the compound he was in was engaged by enemy fire. One of the rounds struck him, and despite immediate medical attention there was nothing that could be done for him.


John was born on 11th July 1981 in Crawley, West Sussex. He joined the Army and served with the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment, during which time he deployed on operations to Kosovo and Iraq. He had left the Regular Army, but volunteered to serve with 1st Battalion Welsh Guards for a 6-month operational tour to Afghanistan.

Although his time with the Welsh Guards was short, he had settled in well and quickly become a popular member of his platoon. He leaves behind his parents, his partner, and his young son. He will be sorely missed by all who knew him.

His Battle Group Commander, Lieutenant Colonel Doug Chalmers MBE PWRR, said:

"Private Brackpool was a superb soldier who had learnt his trade as a member of the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment, serving with them in both Kosovo and Iraq. After a number of years he left the 'Pick of the South', as he affectionately referred to them, and entered civilian life. But before long he joined up as a reservist to serve with the Welsh Guards for their tour of duty in Afghanistan. It is a mark of the man that he settled quickly and earned his platoon's respect in a matter of days. He was easy going, hard working and had that kind of water proof smile that kept morale going when things got tough. His loss has been an enormous blow to his many friends in the Welsh Guards and those that remember him in the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment. But we are all very conscious that our loss is nothing compared to the one being felt by his family, partner and son. Our hearts go out to them at this extremely distressing time."

His Company Commander, Major Giles Harris, said:

"Private Brackpool joined the Prince of Wales's Company as a Regular Reservist and instantly became popular amongst the Welsh Guardsmen he had volunteered to serve with in Afghanistan. He was an extremely likeable and engaging man. His laid back attitude and tremendous sense of humour - most often at his own expense - made him a hugely valued member of his platoon who quickly came to know him as 'Bracks'. That an Englishman could be so quickly and genuinely brought into the fold of a Welsh platoon - one which had already seen considerable action before his arrival - was a testament to his remarkable character and good nature. As a soldier he was committed, a team player, and enthusiastic in contact with the enemy. Having already completed two tours of Kosovo and one of Iraq he brought a huge amount of experience with him, yet he was humble, down to earth and took each day as it came. Private Brackpool was with us for only a short time but will leave a lasting impression on all that met him, especially those in his platoon who had the privilege and pleasure of living and fighting alongside this charming, unselfish, friendly and genuine soldier."

His Platoon Commander, Lieutenant Dave Harris, said:

"Private Brackpool joined two months into our tour and made a quick impression upon us all. He had a permanent smile etched across his face and appeared to relish being part of a close knit team despite the austere conditions. He was blessed with a wonderful sense of humour and a truly happy go lucky attitude. All of us in 2 Platoon will remember Private Blackpool as a genuine, compassionate and likeable man who gave his life protecting his comrades. He will not be forgotten by 2 Platoon, who will miss him greatly."

Lance Sergeant Bjegovic, his Section Commander, said:

"Private Brackpool had settled in well, making many new friends in 2 Platoon. There were plenty of times where 'Bracks' would make us all burst out in to tears of laughter. My funniest moment with John was when I told him to get on top of the small roof to give us protection. This didn't last long as he fell through the roof shouting out in his loudest accent "get me out, get me out!" We had to break a wall down to get him out, he then fell through the hole. John and even the CSM were in fits of laughter. When we were in camp Bastion, I remember John wondering what someone would say about him if anything happened in Afghanistan. I would like to say, John Brackpool was a brilliant bloke, he was always smiling and he was happiest when bantering with the boys. We all knew how much John loved his girlfriend as he would not stop smiling when he received a letter or parcel. I and the rest of 2 Platoon will always remember John we will never forget the sacrifice he made in order to protect us. Our thoughts are now with his family and friends."

Guardsman Chris Johnson, another member of the Platoon, said:

"We didn't know John for long as he joined us nearly two months into the tour but he was always the first to volunteer for any task and integrated quickly. He was an honest open character and a keen Arsenal fan yet he took jokes about his beloved team in good spirits. Upon arriving at our current base he found that the locals had left behind a rather unfriendly dog tied to post. In the few days John spent here he was the only one to earn the trust of the dog and even lead it to safety one afternoon under fire. John will not be forgotten by anyone that served with him and our thoughts are with his loved ones."

Add comment


Security code
Refresh

Latest from icasualties.org

  • AP- Taliban kill 3 abducted government workers
    An Afghan official says the Taliban have killed three government employees abducted last month in western Herat province. Gelani Farhad, spokesman for the provincial governor in Herat, says the three included two employees from the customs department and their driver. He says they were abducted about 20 days ago and their bodies were found on Monday evening.
  • militarytimes- Afghanistan takes delivery of first Black Hawks
    The U.S. delivered the first two of a planned 159 U.S. UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters to Afghanistan on Monday, according to Capt. William Salvin, a spokesperson for Operation Resolute Support. The helicopters were delivered to Kandahar airfield by U.S. Air Force C-17 loadmasters assigned to Charleston Air Force Base, South Carolina.
  • Janes- IED attack kills four civilians in Afghanistan's Khost
    FOUR civilians were killed and 13 others were wounded in an improvised explosive device (IED) attack by unidentified militants in the basement of Hammam Market in Afghanistan's Khost province on 17 September, Afghan Islamic Press reported. No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack.
  • ToloNews- Gunmen Kidnap Mirza Olang Village's ALP Commander
    Armed anti-government men on Tuesday afternoon kidnapped the commander of the Afghan Local Police for Mirza Olang village from Sar-e-Pul city, the provincial council confirmed. The kidnapped commander, Habibullah, was stationed in Mirza Olang village in Sayyad district.
  • Reuters- US Military surgeons in Afghanistan treat civilian injuries
    At U.S. military facilities in Afghanistan, roughly half of the surgeries done for local civilians during more than a decade of war have been for non-combat injuries and health problems, a recent study suggests. From January 2002 through March 2013, a total of 5,786 local civilians underwent 9,428 surgical procedures at U.S. military treatment centers in Afghanistan, accounting for 37,121 inpatient hospital days, researchers report in JAMA Surgery.
  • KP- Suicide attack in Pakistan leaves 23 dead, wounded
    At least twenty people were killed or wounded in a suicide attack in Balochistan province of the country. The incident took place in the vicinity of Chaman located close to Afghanistan late on Monday. According to the local officials, a suicide bomber detonated his explosives near the vehicle of the security forces.
  • BNA- Roadside Mine Blast Leaves 6 Civilians Dead
    Six civilians lost their lives in explosion of a roadside mine in Daman District, Kandahar province yesterday. Zeya Dorani spokesman of Kandahar security directorate told BNA, six civilians martyred while their vehicle hit a roadside mine in Abdul Wahid village, Daman District of the province.
  • KP- Pakistani and ISIS militants killed in Nangarhar airstrike and operations
    Several militants including militants of Tehrik-e-Taliban Pakistan and loyalists of the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terrorist group were killed during the airstrike and ground operations in eastern Nangarhar province of Afghanistan. The provincial government media office in a statement said the militant suffered the casualties in Bati Kot and Achin districts.
  • LATimes- After tough Trump speech, Pakistan scrambles to answer U.S. demands in Afghanistan
    Pakistan, facing growing pressure internally and from the United States about the relationship between the two countries, is weighing how to respond to U.S. demands that it do more to help stop the fighting in Afghanistan.
  • Reuters- Six civilians killed by roadside bomb in Afghanistan
    A roadside bomb in Afghanistan’s southern province of Kandahar killed at least six civilians traveling in a car that hit the device, officials said on Monday. “It was a bomb which had recently been planted by the Taliban to target Afghan forces but a civilian car went through it,” said Fazel Bari Baryalai, a spokesman for the provincial governor, adding: “All the people killed in the car were young people from the area.”

British military casualties - Editorial policy

In the service of our country.

Eulogies for all personnel killed on UK operations in Afghanistan, Iraq and elsewhere are posted as soon as they have been released by the UK Ministry of Defence. Each eulogy we publish for men down in operations brings a lump to the throat. We are losing the best of the best. Politicians must ensure that, when the newspaper cuttings have faded, their sacrifice has had some meaning, has helped bring about a good result. Anything else would be a waste for which they will be eternally condemned.

There is invariably at least a 24 hour gap between the official release of news of an event and the naming of the dead. This is to allow families to be informed and proper eulogoies to be produced. Occasionally families request no euologies or comment. We abide by guidance we receive on such sensitive matters. We regret that information on those who sacrifice almost as much through grave injury is seldom released by the MoD for operational reasons, and so we are unable to pay tribute.

 

Cookies
We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. If you continue without changing your settings, we'll assume that you are happy to receive all cookies on the Defence Viewpoints website. However, if you would like to, you can modify your browser so that it notifies you when cookies are sent to it or you can refuse cookies altogether. You can also delete cookies that have already been set. You may wish to visit www.aboutcookies.org which contains comprehensive information on how to do this on a wide variety of desktop browsers. Please note that you will lose some features and functionality on this website if you choose to disable cookies. For example, you may not be able to link into our Twitter feed, which gives up to the minute perspectives on defence and security matters.